Easter is coming soon! What fun! The baskets are ready to fill, the Day’s plans made – go to Grandma’s for lunch then the egg hunt, and the Easter outfits purchased. Let’s see, what other preparations need to be made? Hmmm…. YIKES!!!
What about Jesus? What about preparing our kids hearts (and ours) for Easter? Why do we have the celebration anyway? We talk about keeping Christ in Christmas, but what about Easter? It IS all about HIM!!
Take a deep breath and take time to really get ready for Easter… put Jesus first.
Here are some ideas for you and your family to try –
- Start by reading consecutive segments of scripture from your kids’ Bible detailing the last week of Jesus life here on Earth – begin with the Triumphal Entry into Jerusalem and go all the way through to the resurrection doing one segment each day of the week before Easter Sunday.
- Plan a special craft for each day’s reading (example – for each member of your family cut out a paper palm branch and snip edges then re-enact Jesus’ entry, make a “cross resist painting” by putting tape on heavy paper in the shape of a cross and paint over the top with water colors or wet chalk, let dry and remove tape. There are tons of ideas on Pinterest!)
- Teach your kids the 5 finger way to remember the gospel - Hold up one finger for each word – “Jesus – died – for – my – sins” then raise cupped palm in the air – “and rose again!”
- Use a set of “resurrection eggs” to retell these events – You can purchase on Amazon or make your own : https://lifeyourway.net/diy-ressurection-eggs-easter-story-book-printables/
- Make some “resurrection biscuits” - Bake refrigerator biscuits rolled in cinnamon sugar with a marshmallow tucked inside. The “tomb” is empty, as the marshmallow has melted inside. https://www.yummly.com/recipe/Empty-Tomb-Marshmallow-Delights-977968
- Read together some Easter story books like “The Donkey Who Carried the King”, “God Gave Us Easter”, “The Parable of the Lily”.
This is such a joyous time to celebrate Jesus and what He did on the cross! He lives!
Patty Emmert- I am a former Kindergarten teacher, current preschool teacher and children’s ministry director. I am the mother of 4 grown sons and grandmother to 10! I realize the importance of getting kids started off on a positive track in school. I'd like to offer some fun, simple ways to help you do that for your child!