Summer please slow down!!! Do you feel summer slipping away quickly? It seems that after the Fourth of July time flies by! Well, ready or not, school will be starting in a month.
Yes you read that right! School starts in a month!
If you have preschoolers, they have a bit more time – like maybe a week or two longer of summer. (:
Ok – so you’re thinking what’s the big deal? - When school starts, there’s no more sleeping in late, staying in jammies all day, getting a snack whenever. To have a smoother transition into school routines the time to start is now! Here’s a few suggestions:
- If summer bedtime has been later than during the school year, gradually work back into the earlier time.
- Begin to set earlier wake up times if sleeping in has been the summer norm.
- Set limits on snacking throughout the day. Offer a snack mid-morning and mid-afternoon and leave it at that.
- Encourage your child to eat a healthy breakfast. Talk about lunch at school and set a plan in place for packing lunches or purchasing school lunch.
- Get out those pencils, crayons, and scissors. Practice writing names, letters, numbers, etc.
- Enjoy books together by reading aloud and talking about the stories.
- Review skills – math facts, letter sounds, sight words, shapes, colors, letters, numbers –Have fun with it!
- Invite your children’s friends and families over and have an end of the summer bash. Celebrate the beginning of the school year with anticipation of a great time!
- Be sure to start the school year off on a positive note! Talk with your child about what school will be like if especially if they are entering a new phase (Kindergarten, middle school, etc.)
- Lastly, but most importantly, pray for your child, their teachers, and school administration every day before your child leaves for school.
Hopefully by implementing these ideas, your kiddos (and you) will have a smooth transition to school!